Sunday, December 4, 2011

I Want To Be A Part of It!

On Saturday, we spent the day in old New York. Now, this is one of my favorite places to visit, and in the past we have covered one end of Manhattan to the other...all on foot. But my feet hurt these days from carrying so much weight. And my knee hurts. And my back. And my shoulders. And my head. And...has anyone seen a bench or something where I can sit down?

This year, my idea of the best day in NYC consisted of parking my too-large-backside into a somewhat comfortable coffee shop chair and sitting for hours with my husband. My husband thought we could have stayed home and done that. So, we walked. And, in the end, I'm very glad we did.

And what's cooler than sitting in a coffee shop? Having coffee at a cafe table in the middle of Times Square at night with some great friends and the best man in the whole world. Sure, the seat was rickety and I had to sit on the edge of it so I didn't feel like I was putting all my weight on that poor thing. Sure, I wish I didn't have to make room between my legs for my stomach. BUT...look on the bright side (Times Square is VERY bright, after all) I walked from Ellen's Star Dust Diner all the way down to Grand Central Terminal, stopping at Bryant Park, the public library and some other really neat places along the way. I held my husband's hand and I caught up with an old friend I don't see often. I met a new friend. And I shared memories with one of my best pals, Jeni.

We have to stop and count our blessings along the way. I forget to do that. Life is more than food--and it's also more than "not food." Life is the people around you and the experiences you share. And I have a really great life.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I was looking through your NYC pictures on FB because I'm a stalker like that, and because we're gonna be such good friends. I was thinking to myself, "she doesn't even know now how much FUN it will be to go back to NYC next fall, when she feels so much better physically." It looks like you had a great day, but I know (because I've BTDT) that you'll have a bittersweet moment the next time you go to NYC, as you remember how this day felt to you physically, compared to how great you will feel then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this I know you have been back to nyc! Praise God for what He has done

    ReplyDelete