As I mentioned on last week's post, we started a Gratitude Jar for our family. At dinner each night we ask the children what they are thankful for that day. Imagine my happy surprise when our six-year-old writes this: I am thankful for "Healthy Foods." (Remember, this is our candy-loving-girl!)
I know that Mama plays a huge role on influencing the family. This is very true about her influence over the children and what they eat. It is typically Mama who is making meals for the family and doing the grocery shopping, so she has the power to decide what selections to offer the kids.
I watched my kids follow me into poor eating habits. But I've also watched them follow me out of them too. I will never forget when one of them ordered celery as their side dish, when she could have chosen french fries or mashed potatoes. I will also never forget the look of disbelief on their grandmother's face when my child asked for broccoli to go along with his meal. Or the time when my son asked if he could order a salad for lunch when we were out for my sister's birthday--and then ate the whole thing. I'm very fortunate to have children who are willing to try new foods and who enjoy healthy options.
Now, it's important that I continue to model the best choices available by consistently choosing them for myself.
![]() |
| Jude (almost 4) & Kate (almost 2) helping in the kitchen. It's a little messy...especially Kate's face! They still both love to help me make delicious meals. |
Before I started this post, I asked the kids what their favorite healthy meal is and they both said "SALAD!" They really love it when I offer a salad bar so they can pick their own toppings. The kids feel like they are control of their meal. Since I'm the one who is actually in charge of what is offered, I make sure to put lots of healthy choices on the salad bar--because let's be honest, we know how it's possible to turn a salad completely unhealthy, don't we? They love some eggs for protein (and they don't actually LIKE the yokes); nuts; fruits; and, of course, lots of colorful veggies!
There are other healthy things we make together that they love.
Here are two favorites:
BANANA COOKIES (No sugar added!)
My kids don't like bananas, but they love these cookies! Since they don't like bananas, we often have several over-ripe bananas laying around. These cookies are the perfect way to use them. The kids could almost make these without my help. We use unsweetened applesauce--our own, if I've been ambitious enough to make it during apple harvest. They don't prefer the nuts and raisins, so I don't insist on them. What's a good chocolate chunk? I dunno. That's what the recipe says. We just use whatever we have on hand.
My kids also thought they didn't like cauliflower...until we made THIS!
CAULIFLOWER PIZZA
Ingredients:
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups pizza blend grated cheese
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch salt
Step 1. To rice cauliflower, roughly chop 1 head cauliflower.
Step 2. Place in the food processor and pulse 8-10 times. Repeat with the rest of the cauliflower. (My food process has a safety guard, so my kids LOVE to help with this.)
Step 3. Place in a lidded dish and microwave for 10 minutes. Now you have riced cauliflower.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Step 4. In a big bowl, mix four cups of riced cauliflower, egg and cheese until combined. Add the oregano, garlic and salt and mix until combined. (This is a great step for child participation!)
Step 5. Place half of the mixture on each tray and pat into a thin, round shape. OR divide the mixture and make separate crusts for each person. Our children LOVE this option, and they love making the crust, because...who doesn't love to get their hands a little messy?!
Step 6. Bake for around 15-20 minutes until the base is golden. It may look a little burnt around the edges. That's okay! It will taste amazing!
Let the children choose their favorite pizza toppings. I usually make my own sauce from diced tomatoes to be sure exactly what is in it. Allow everyone to top their own pizza crust. Return them to the oven just until the cheese is melted. Sometimes I will put it under the broiler to get the cheese bubbly and browned.




That's alot of cheese! And you add more on top?
ReplyDeleteIt serves 4--so, yes, it is a cup of cheese per serving. 1/2 cup in the crust, 1/2 cup on top per serving. I printed the original recipe here, but we use low fat mozzarella and egg beaters in place of the eggs. This fulfills the allotted serving of a lean protein required for the lean and green meals we've been preparing. It's delicious and I don't feel guilty. But if you struggle with cheese, this is probably not the meal for you! :)
DeleteCongrats on getting your kids to eat and try nutritious new foods! Awesome results (kids ASKING for celery? Who knew!) Good luck with your journey!
ReplyDeleteGlad you and your family are having fun with Tiny Tastes! Parents, peers, and the Tiny Tastes app can all be positive influences for adventuresome eating... they all work in different ways to inspire kids to try new healthy foods! It's awesome that you're making healthy eating a family practice. It sounds like you're a super-fun mom... involving everyone in meal prep and giving kids the choice about which healthy foods to pick from can really help to get kids invested in trying new things! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDelete