Monday, January 9, 2012

Where Are My Aches and Pains?

At Longwood Gardens in September 2011

Many positive results cannot be measured on a scale.

Walking down the stairs today I realized, "Hey, my knees don't hurt!"  I've been noticing that many of my old aches and pains are disappearing.  I've had foot pain for years now and couldn't ever walk for a very long time in any shoes other than my sneakers or not only would my feet inflame, my knees and ankles would as well. 

Last September I went to Longwood Gardens for a day with a group of friends and had a blast.  But I paid for it for days to come.  My joints were so sore from the walking.

I always thought it was my weight.  I mean, I am seriously obese and have been like this for years.  If I were my feet, I'd be begging for mercy too! 

I'm thrilled that I've lost 25 pounds, but I'm still not back to the weight I was even a year ago.  So, those 25 pounds could not have made all the difference.  I HAD to find out why I am feeling so good all of a sudden.  Does diet really make such a huge impact on our bodies and the way they respond?

The answer is: YES!

Here is a link to an article entitle: Joint Pain & Arthritis: Quieting the Inflammatory Noise.

In the article, Dr. Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP, lists foods that she says are "hot" and can cause joint discomfort.  Um, these foods were part of my staple diet before Take Shape for Life!

I still have diet sodas.  And I do eat red meat, but ours meat is free of antibiotics and hormones.  If I had to take a guess though, I'd say that cutting sugars and white flours/processed grains has made ALL the difference!  I don't know, but I'm going to do a happy dance.  Because now I can!!!



Hot foods — avoid!
 
  • Fried foods

  • Red meat from corn-fed animals raised with antibiotics and/or hormones

  • Partially hydrogenated (trans) fats (found in margarine, chips, processed baked goods)

  • Saturated fats (e.g., animal fats such as butter and lard)

  • Corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil or soy-based oils

  • Soft drinks, including both diet and regular soda and fruit juices

  • All forms of sugar, including natural and refined

  • White flour and other processed grains

  • Most fast-food and prepackaged meals

1 comment: