Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Week #34

To my faithful blog followers, I hope you've taken the opportunity to go back and read some of my old entries while you've been waiting for me to update again--oh, a month or so later!  Life has been very busy, and as a result I've been learning a lot.  Funny how that happens.

I've been learning in the "that's not easy" moments.

Turns out, it's not easy to lose 95 pounds, have everyone stroke your ego and stay focused on the fact that you still have 65 more pounds to go.  And that's probably my biggest lesson right now, so that's where I'll focus this blog.

The conversation goes something like this:

Friend:
"JULIE!!!  Give me a hug, girlfriend!  I can't get over how you look.  Incredible!"

Me: (after being totally squished by friend's embrace)
"Thank you!" (smiling)

Friend:
"I can't get over it.  Just let me look at you.  You have to be close to your goal."

Me:
"No, actually I still have 65 pounds to lose."

Friend:
"Stop!  No you don't!  I can't believe that."

And so the conversation goes on and on.  And happens again moments later with another friend.

First, have we gotten so used to seeing overweight people that we now thing that obese looks healthy?  I'm still obese.  I still weigh over 200 pounds.  I am still 65 pounds away from my healthy BMI.

But I can buy into the hype.  I can buy into the fact that "Hey, I look really good.  I should feel good about what I've accomplished.  Maybe I shouldn't believe that I still have a long way to go."  After all, I have a level of contentment right now that I've never had before.  Contentment.  It breeds laziness, honestly, if it is misdirected.

And that's how I've been.  Lazy.  No, I haven't been wildly off plan, but I have been making exceptions I never would have made before.  You can see that in my numbers--even though a scale is not the only way to measure success.  This time, it's an accurate gauge.  I'm not "all in" right now with focusing on my own health.

That changes today.  I am entering the "No Exceptions Zone."

When optimal health is the goal, there is no room for making even small exceptions.  Praying that this is an area where I continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment