We will always find what we are looking for. Grace is always there when we need it--if we're willing to keep our eyes open for it. It is everywhere. Even when we least expect it.
I've been to two parties this weekend. It's shocking to me how much food is involved with our holidays celebrations. Not surprising, but still shocking. Our entire gatherings basically revolved around the food.
I am left thinking about how far I've come. And, yet, how far I still have to go...
This will be the story of our lives, I think. The journey is continual. There are places of rest, but we still are not HOME until we've reached Heaven's gate. We rest, and then we begin another leg of the journey.
I keep thinking about how the road to freedom begins with the path of denying ourselves. Crazy how such a wide, beautiful road begins with what appears to be so dangerous to us. But, if it were a pretty, well-groomed trail, it would not require such enormous faith to begin.
Today, I was reflecting on the Israelites. I'm so thankful for their example to us--mostly of what NOT to do. I was reading about how they were doubting God's faithfulness and plan for them. They were hungry and weary and didn't believe in their journey anymore. They were blaming Moses and Aaron for their "suffering." They had forgotten the suffering of their past and what they were being delivered from.
"If only we had died by the LORD's hand in Egypt! There we sat around
pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out
into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death." Exodus 16:3
Let me ask you:
Would you rather die a slave with a full belly?
Or as a hungry man on the road to freedom?
Before you answer too quickly, spend some time pondering the life of a slave. Owned by a cruel master, powerless, beaten down, in pain, longing to be taste even a moment of freedom.
I was a slave to food.
I can assure you that this path of self-denial that leads to freedom is a way more merciful and beautiful place to dwell.
The awesome thing is, God provided for the grumpy, complaining, ungrateful Israelites--he provided them with bread from Heaven. And they STILL complained.
God has provided me with a way of escape. I can complain about being bored with it, or how it tastes, or how much better life was before--but if I do that, I am missing his miracle. Bread from Heaven. Enough for today. I will NOT go hungry on this path--because He will provide.
No, I want to SEE Him. I want to THANK Him. I want to PRAISE Him. I want to grow in contentment and grace. And I never want to be a slave to anything but His righteousness.
So, when the cupcakes are passed right in front of my face--I will gladly say, "No thank you!" Because this is the way to freedom and I want to be FREE!!!
I wrote in my journal two years ago: "I want to say that trusting God looks like 'eating healthy foods.'" Now...I DO say that!
Words I so needed to hear today! Being a slave to food for so long it's hard to even imagine what freedom looks like!
ReplyDelete